Imagination PowerVR SDK Blog

How can I measure the program performace on SGX

I use gettimeofday to get the time the draw function takes after using glFinigh. However I don’t think that I get the correct result since the swaq function costs too long.

On the other hand, if I want to get some performace datas, is there any tool that is useful for me?

I use gettimeofday to get the time the draw function takes after using

glFinish. However I don’t think that I get the correct result since the

swap function costs too long.

On the other hand, if I want to get some performace data, is there any tool that is useful for me?

Hardware: SGX 535

Thanks.

Can you please post your usage of gettimeofday ? Are you converting correctly from microseconds ? Are you talking about eglswapbuffers call taking too long ?

gettimeofday(&tv1,&tz);
glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP,0,4);
glFinish();
gettimeofday(&tv2,&tz);
printf("%ld",((tv2.tv_sec-tv1.tv_sec)*1000000+(tv2.tv_usec-tv1.tv_usec)));
gettimeofday(&tv1,&tz);
eglSwapBuffers(eglDisplay, eglSurface);

gettimeofday(&tv2,&tz);

printf("%ld",((tv2.tv_sec-tv1.tv_sec)*1000000+(tv2.tv_usec-tv1.tv_usec)));

I test this using two different fragment shader. If the shader code is simple, all above go fast, and after I saw the Swap time, I can immediately saw the result on screen. However, if the shader  contains a lot more computation, I can only saw the result after a small break when I saw the Swap time. I think, after calling glFinish, the client and server should synchronize their operations, then calling the eglSwqpBuffers function shouldn’t result in the latency difference.

glFinish won’t do what you want. If you really want to make sure rendering is finished use glReadPixels to read a single pixel. In that case you don’t even need to measure eglSwapBuffers. However note that this only gives about the right results if all you draw is a full screen quad and you want to measure the time required for the fragment shader.

Hi

Could you please explain more specifically why glFinish won't work here?

glReadPixels generates an error (GL_INVALID_OPERATION / 1282) when I try to use it on beagleboard.

hnyk2009-06-03 09:01:04

What is the format/type combination you use, and what is the framebuffer/EGLSurface format?

It works on emulator so there shouldn't be anything wrong with formats.  I've asked from google and it could be something with wrong thread executing the command, but I didn't find anything how to fix it.

Anyway, I would still be interested to know why glFinish won't work, since instruction description says that it synchronises CPU and GPU so I gather that it should work. But obviously I have tested it and it won't work, so why?

hnyk2009-06-04 07:28:37

hnyk wrote:
It works on emulator so there shouldn't be anything wrong with formats.

This is not necessarily true. You could get a different surface format in the emulator, and thus a different format/type combination will work. The only format/type combination that is guaranteed to work in OpenGL ES, no matter the surface format, is GL_RGBA/GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE.

Quote:
Anyway, I would still be interested to know why glFinish won't work, since instruction description says that it synchronises CPU and GPU so I gather that it should work. But obviously I have tested it and it won't work, so why?

It's not implemented that way, partly because of applications which use glFinish improperly.