IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc2 on windows emulator

When I run the 05_IntroducingPVRTools example project everything runs fine. However, after reencode the “Image.pvr” file as pvrtcII (2 or 4 bpp), the application shows the error:

PVRTTextureLoadFromPointer error: PVRTC not supported.

For what I can see GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc2 doesn’t seem like an available extension. The full list of extension I can see is:

GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc GL_IMG_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OES_fragment_precision_high GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_IMG_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_OES_egl_sync GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_IMG_shader_binary GL_IMG_texture_npot GL_IMG_texture_stream2 GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_IMG_program_binary GL_IMG_uniform_buffer_object GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean

I'm emulating OpenGL ES 2 under Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2013, SDK 3.4 (with SDK3.1 I have the same issue). My graphic card (if that matters) is a quite modern AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series.

Is this the expected behaviour (i.e., pvrtcII not supported under windows emulation)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

If you currently have a PVRVFrame device profile selected that doesn’t support PVRTCII, then the extension will be hidden from your application. Can you check which device profile you are using?

The currently profile can be changed from the PVRVFrameGUI ‘Profile’ drop-down box. If you select Host, the emulator will expose every extension your host system can support.

Thanks,

Joe

It seems that no matters which profile is selected, the extension is not available, even for ‘Host’ profile.

Also I’ve sadly discovered that iOS is not exposing any API to load PVRTCII textures, even as the hardware supports it (from iPhone4S upwards if I’m not wrong). So I’ve basically no interest now in using PVRTCII in the emulator because my target is iOS anyway. It’s really a shame because the new features added by PVRTCII format fits perfectly for the kind of game we’re doing.