PVRTexLib.dll nullptr dereference crash on transcode

Recently I’ve been having lots of issues with PVRTexLib.dll crashing in various ways when performing many texture transcodes, and it seems to crash on a random texture each time. Sometimes crashes within a few minutes, sometimes it can go for 30 minutes processing textures and finally crash.

It’s pretty difficult to investigate this - It’s even caused blue screens with codes such as KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY.

Here’s the information I have:
Exception thrown at 0x00007FFA0B4BE390 (PVRTexLib.dll) in CBuild.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

It is even rare that visual studio can catch the crash, most of the time it either crashes visual studio entirely while running (assuming I ran it through visual studio, otherwise the app itself just crashes) or I get a BSOD.

I am using the latest version (5.5.0). This issue has only recently showed up, as I’ve been using it fine for almost 2 years prior. The program using this has also not changed once in the past 2 years. Any guidance on what the issue could be or how to better debug and investigate it would be much appreciated.

Hi fireibra,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

We will need a way to reproduce the issue ourselves. Could you please provide a code snippet where you show the operations done on each image? We can then put that code to work on a large set of textures to try reprodude it.

Also, could you please provide the specs of your system? (OS version, CPU, GPU, RAM memory).

Best regards,
Alejandro