Android kern panic drivers/gpu/pvr/sgx/sgxutils.c

Hi,

Wondering if anyone suitably familiar with SGX540 driver internals could comment on this bug report?

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24118#

In a nutshell the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is occasionally rebooting itself in response to a kernel panic caused by a null pointer in SGXCleanupRequest() in drivers/gpu/pvr/sgx/sgxutils.c. This issue has been observed in stock Android ROMs up to and including the current (as of writing) ROM, 4.0.4.

Thanks,

Reuben

Hi Reuben,

Can you retrieve the driver version number with “adb shell cat /proc/pvr/version” and share the output with us?

Once we have this information, I can pass this issue to our driver team.

Thanks,
Joe

I don’t have a Galaxy Nexus but a friend was kind enough the run the command on theirs. This is what they got:

> adb shell cat /proc/pvr/version

Version CustomerGoogle_Android_ogles1_ogles2_GPL sgxddk 18 1.8@785978 (release)
omap4430_android
System Version String: SGX revision = 1.2.0

Hi Reuben,

Sorry for the delayed response.
Has the issue been resolved in newer ROMs? Can you share a minimal reproduction with us?

The Galaxy Nexus I have running a recent official Jellybean image (4.1.1 - build number JRO03C) has a newer 1.8 driver: 1.8@905891

This happens on my Galaxy Nexus even after the 4.1.1 update.
>adb shell cat /proc/pvr/version

Version CustomerGoogle_Android_ogles1_ogles2_GPL sgxddk 18 1.8@905891 (release)

omap4430_android

System Version String: SGX revision = 1.2.0

I haven’t found a way to reproduce it 100% reliably. But it occurs fairly frequently if I do the following. Start a new game in Solitaire Ultra and play for a little while, then press HOME to return to the launcher. Open another app, for example Google Talk, not sure if this step is necessary. Then use the task switcher return to Solitaire Ultra. You might need to switch back and forth a few times to trigger the kernel panic and it doesn’t happen every time. For me it happens perhaps one out of three tries. 
It happens with other apps and games as well, but not as frequent. 

Hi,

we seem to have similar issue on a different board (omap4430, aka nook tablet). One developer was able to capture a quite exhaustive log from the device.

Please see: http://e2e.ti.com/support/omap/f/849/t/201436.aspx and especially the log here:

http://e2e.ti.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/849/2514.Imaginarium_2D00_logcatpluslastkmsg.rar

Any help here would be highly appreciated. 

Rgds,
Chris

chrmhoffmann2012-08-28 16:29:58

Hi appel,

I’ve been able to reproduce the driver bug with Solitaire Ultra. I’ll file a bug against the driver for this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot give an estimate of when/if a fix for this bug will make it to the device.

Can you send an APK of the game to our devtech@imgtec.com, please? This would be very useful for our internal driver testing.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi,

Great news. Is it possible to know in what IMG tec release this will be fixed?

Thx,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I’ve filed this bug as BRN38475. I can’t give any estimates of when a fix for this may be added into our reference driver. Even when this fix is in our reference

Normal

false

false

false

EN-GB

X-NONE

X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

Normal

false
false
false

EN-GB
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

Sorry Chris, I forgot to mention - if you can send an .apk to our devtech@imgtec.com address (or email us to discuss another method of sharing the binary with us) of a minimal reproduction of the issue or of a version of your game that triggers the bug, then it will be much easier for us to investigate the problem and possibly suggest a workaround.

If you would like to, we can sign an MNDA with you before receiving any binaries from you. Even without the NDA though, we will only ever use binaries internally to reproduce and test problems.

Thanks,
Joe