I apologize if this is not the right place to report a bug.
It seems that the iPad 2 flickers when:
- a perspective projection is used
- AND a depth buffer is used (16-bit or 24-bit depth buffer)
- AND GL_DEPTH_TEST is enabled
- AND “big” quads are rendered
- AND the quads uses the same z value. eg:z=0
Using an orthogonal projection prevents the flicker, as well as using a 0-bit depth buffer, or rendering “small” quads. And it can’t be reproduced on an iPad 1.
This flicker happens both in GL ES 1.1 and GL ES 2.0 mode.
I’m not sure if this is an Apple’s bug, a bug in the GL drivers or a bug in the chip, that’s why I’m reporting it here.
These are some videos that shows the bug:
Minimal test project that reproduces the issue: http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/issues/detail?id=1159#c6
I’ve already opened this bug in Apple’s bugtracker: Bug ID# 9241017.