Editing/Exporting POD files from Maya

I’m trying to construct a production pipeline from Maya to my iPhone App and I have a few issues.

One of my biggest concerns is asset creation in Maya and exporting the data. The POD exporter works great as far as sending out polygonal data (vertex position, uv’s, etc). My real concern is with material management.

Is there a hardware plugin that supports the .pfx format? That might be asking a lot.

So my next question is, lets say I can’t ever see my materials live in Maya. I can live with that. But, the POD format does have a “Export Materials” checkbox. How does that work? Surely there is a way to save in the POD file a reference to a .pfx file that will link up when I run Shaman.

Anyone have ideas out there?

kloveridge wrote:

Is there a hardware plugin that supports the .pfx format?

I'm afraid not.

kloveridge wrote:

So my next question is, lets say I can't ever see my materials live in Maya. I can live with that. But, the POD format does have a "Export Materials" checkbox. How does that work?

The 'export materials' option when enabled will export the material properties of an object such as the textures applied, colour etc.

kloveridge wrote:

Surely there is a way to save in the POD file a reference to a .pfx file that will link up when I run Shaman. 

At the moment the only way to set the reference to a .pfx file is from within PVRShaman or within your own application.