I downloaded the latest PVRTexTool(4.1.6 (SDK build 3.5@3523712)) a few days ago, and use it to compress png files to PVRTC1_4.
I find that the quality is kind of poor.
One of my friend send me an old version of PVRTexTool(3.23 (SDK build 2.09.29.0627)) and it seems working much better.
I am confused why newer version works worse than old ones.
The command I was using are: (the first command is for newer version, and the second one is for older version)
PVRTexToolCli -i lossless.png -o aaa_new.pvr -l -f PVRTC1_4 -q pvrtcbest -legacypvr -p
PVRTexTool -i lossless.png -o aaa_old.pvr -f PVRTC4 -q 5 -premultalpha
the source image and result image(converted to PNG) are in the attachments.
- lossless.png is original.
- aaa_new.png is compressed using new version of PVRTexTool.
- aaa_old.png is compressed using old version of PVRTexTool.
My questions are:
- why old version works better?
- if old version is better, can I download it from anyware?