PVRTextLib memory usage

Hi,
we are currently working on ios game and we need to manage huge texture (4096*4096).
When we use  PVRTextLib with these ressources a large memory consumption is needed (more than 1GB with PVRT 4 bits texture).
Could you provide some tips to decrease our memory usage during the compression?
Regards,
David.

Hi David,

I’m afraid that there’s no way to reduce this value - the amount of memory is intrinsic to the current compressor. It’s something that is constantly being looked at - in fact this is about 2x less than the compressor from 2 years ago which stored everything as floating point. For the time being though, I’m afraid it is always going to need this amount.

It’s worth noting however that the fast compressor should use less memory - if performance is a critical issue here then it might be worth looking into. We typically suggest using the fast compressor for development, then the normal or better compressor when you actually release.

Regards,
Tobias

Tobias wrote:
Hi David,

I'm afraid that there's no way to reduce this value - the amount of memory is intrinsic to the current compressor. It's something that is constantly being looked at - in fact this is about 2x less than the compressor from 2 years ago which stored everything as floating point. For the time being though, I'm afraid it is always going to need this amount.

It's worth noting however that the fast compressor should use less memory - if performance is a critical issue here then it might be worth looking into. We typically suggest using the fast compressor for development, then the normal or better compressor when you actually release.

Regards,
Tobias

Thank you for your answer Tobias,
We are ok to use fast compression on conception stage, and full quality compression for final release build.
regards,
David.