Imagination PowerVR SDK Blog

Using shell with Beagleboard (ES 2.0)


#1

Hi

I have made a program in Windows emulation platform and I would like to test it on Beagleboard. How can I do this? Should I just change the PVRShellOS-files? Where can I get those files? Or should I just order SDK from TI? I read somewhere that it supports only 16bpp framebuffer. This is kind of bad because I need 8b per channel. But I only need one channel, so is there a way to set framebuffer channels to 1 or 2?


#2

Yes, you should be able to get the SDK from TI, which contains the necessary files. Support for EGL window surface configurations is platform specific, but you should always be able to use 8bpc off-screen textures/renderbuffers as FBO colour attachments. Only RGB and RGBA formats are renderable, though.


#3

>>  I read somewhere that it supports only 16bpp framebuffer.




 

The latest versions of the OMAP3 graphics SDK have support for 32 bpp. You can expect an update in another week in the OMAP3 Graphics SDK download page.

 

In addition, if you have a keyboard input based application, you would need to map it using an input driver. Typically you connect these via an USB hub on the beagleboard.

#4
Xmas wrote:
Yes, you should be able to get the SDK from TI, which
contains the necessary files. Support for EGL window surface
configurations is platform specific, but you should always be able to
use 8bpc off-screen textures/renderbuffers as FBO colour attachments.
Only RGB and RGBA formats are renderable, though.




Okay, so you are saying that 16b framebuffer restriction only effects
to what is seen on the screen and I can do 24b framebuffer rendering
off-screen. I read about framebuffer objects from ES 2.0 specification
and the table 4.5 says that there are no 8bc color renderable formats
for renderbuffer. Should I use texturebuffers? I didn't find
information about texturebuffer formats.

prabindh wrote:
>>  I read somewhere that it supports only 16bpp framebuffer.



 

The latest versions of the OMAP3 graphics SDK have support for 32
bpp. You can expect an update in another week in the OMAP3 Graphics SDK
download page.

 

In addition, if you have a keyboard input based application, you
would need to map it using an input driver. Typically you connect these
via an USB hub on the beagleboard.


This is good news. I hope that this information is solid.



#5
hnyk wrote:
Okay, so you are saying that 16b framebuffer restriction only effects

to what is seen on the screen and I can do 24b framebuffer rendering

off-screen. I read about framebuffer objects from ES 2.0 specification

and the table 4.5 says that there are no 8bc color renderable formats

for renderbuffer. Should I use texturebuffers? I didn't find

information about texturebuffer formats.

The extension GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8, which should be present, adds 8bpc RGB and RGBA renderbuffer formats. You should also be able to render to 8bpc textures.