Visual Studio 2015 compatible PVRTexLib.dll

Hello

In the most recent PowerVR SDK (4.0), PVRTexLib.dll was compiled and linked with Visual Studio 2013. Since this dll exports C++ functions, ABI compatibility is of concern. I would like to use this dll in a program that was compiled and linked with Viusal Studio 2015.

Even though mixing C++ dlls produced by different major versions of MSVC is strongly discouraged (I think it’s stated by Microsoft as well, but can’t cite it), I sense that this is the “supported way to go” in case of this dll (since there are no dlls provided for different versions of MSVC). Is this assumption correct?

Thanks,
Peter

By the way, the crash described in this topic might be caused by mixing dlls (allocating a block with version X and attempting to free it with version Y): https://www.imgcommunity.local/forums/topic/pvrtexlib-crash-with-visual-studio-2015

Hi Peter,

[blockquote]I sense that this is the “supported way to go” in case of this dll [since there are no dlls provided for different versions of MSVC]. Is this assumption correct?[/blockquote]
That’s correct. Our development team decided to support a single DLL for all recent versions of MSVC. If you encounter any compatibility issues with VS 2015, please let us know.

I’ve added your feedback on DLL compatibility to BRN58175 for the engineer’s reference.

Visual Studio 2015 contains many new and exciting features to support cross-platform mobile development, web & cloud development, IDE productivity enhancements, and more… So I really need try out Visual Studio 2015…