Imagination PowerVR SDK Blog

Access violation reading location 0xbaadf00d

pvrvframe

I see 0xbaadf00d come up a lot with bad values and access violations. This particular one came up with the following code:

GLint prog;

glGetIntegerv(GL_CURRENT_PROGRAM, &prog);

ASSERT(prog >= 0);

ASSERT(glIsProgram(prog) == GL_TRUE);    // The bad access happens inside of the glIsProgram call.

I also encountered the 0xbaadf00d value coming up in

GLint maxVertexAttribs;

glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS, &maxVertexAttribs);

maxVertexAttribs every once in a while is 0xbaadfood, and a call to glGetError before this returns GL_NO_ERROR, and this is all immediately after successfully setting up the egl stuff.

I’ve filed this as BRN34242 in our system.

Details of your development machine’s graphics acceleration, drivers will be helpful in reproducing and fixing this. If you can make a minimal example that reproduces the problem then please send it to devtech@imgtec.com and this could also help us.

Hey, thanks! Do I have access to BRN34242 for adding my system’s details? If not, here they are:

Dell Inspiron 1720 (It’s a laptop)

Windows XP SP3

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

6.14.12.6658 1/7/2011 (latest version of drivers)

And in case this helps, here are the strings returns from the various glGetString/eglQueryString functions:

GL:

Vendor:   Imagination Technologies (Host GL: NVIDIA Corporation)

Renderer: PowerVR PVRVFrame 8.1 SGX (Host GL: GeForce 8600M GT/PCI/SSE2)

Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 ( SDK build: 2.08.28.0607 )

EGL:

Vendor:   Imagination Technologies

Version: 1.4 PVRVFrame 8.1 (SDK 2.08.28.0607)

Extensions:

This is a pretty large game I’m working on, and I’m in crunch more at the moment, so I can’t narrow it down to a small case. :frowning: Given that I am starting to encounter errors all the time once I wired up some of the more advanced stuff in the game engine, it’s almost as if the emulation is getting stress-tested by the game and freaking out.

In the case of the GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS problem I note above, that one is super-basic. It happens after I setup EGL, however it only happens once in a great while, so that’s the weird part. Once I hit F5 to continue after my homegrown ASSERT, PVRFrame later complained about a function pointer being NULL and that my system didn’t support that function (I can’t remember which one it was, but I think it was an OES function… but I don’t get that error unless the GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS problem happens). Here’s my code leading up to that problem, so it’s probably easy to see what is not getting initialized correctly for GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS to return 0xbaadf00d:

m_eglDisplay = eglGetDisplay(GetDC(m_hMainWindow));

if(m_eglDisplay == EGL_NO_DISPLAY)

return;

EGLint majorVersion, minorVersion;

if(!eglInitialize(m_eglDisplay, &majorVersion, &minorVersion))

return;

#if defined(EGL_VERSION_1_3) && defined(GL_ES_VERSION_2_0)

if(!eglBindAPI(EGL_OPENGL_ES_API))

return;

#endif

EGLint numConfigs;

if(!eglGetConfigs(m_eglDisplay, NULL, 0, &numConfigs))

return;

const EGLint attribList[] =

{

EGL_RED_SIZE,        8,

EGL_GREEN_SIZE,      8,

EGL_BLUE_SIZE,       8,

EGL_ALPHA_SIZE,      8,

EGL_DEPTH_SIZE,      16,

EGL_STENCIL_SIZE,    8,

EGL_SAMPLE_BUFFERS, 0,

#if defined(EGL_VERSION_1_3) && defined(GL_ES_VERSION_2_0)

EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE, EGL_OPENGL_ES2_BIT,

#endif

EGL_NONE

};

EGLConfig config;

if(!eglChooseConfig(m_eglDisplay, attribList, &config, 1, &numConfigs))

return;

EGLint contextAttribs[] = { EGL_CONTEXT_CLIENT_VERSION, 2, EGL_NONE, EGL_NONE };

EGLContext context = eglCreateContext(m_eglDisplay, config, EGL_NO_CONTEXT, contextAttribs);

if(context == EGL_NO_CONTEXT)

return;

m_eglSurface = eglCreateWindowSurface(m_eglDisplay, config, m_hMainWindow, NULL);

if(m_eglSurface == EGL_NO_SURFACE)

return;

if(!eglMakeCurrent(m_eglDisplay, m_eglSurface, m_eglSurface, context))

return;

DEBUG_OGL_FAIL(glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS, &m_maxVertexAttribs));

ASSERT(m_maxVertexAttribs >= 8);     // should be at least 8, according to spec, but sometimes is 0xbaadf00d

jbuck2011-08-17 19:58:28

Currently the bugtracking system is internal only, but I’ve added the information above to this issue.