How to extract pod & pvr separately from 3ds max

Hi,

I apologize in advance that this is a noob question. I have been looking for a solution for a month now so I think it is time to ask the experts.

I am learning using Oreilly’s Developing 2D and 3D Games book (in case people are familiar with it). I have a 3D object on 3ds Max 2010 and was able to export the POD file using PVRGeoPOD. However, when I place the new POD file in exchange of the ship.pod, the new object just renders as a white mask. The texture is not being applied.
I, then, noticed that there is a separate pvr texture file for the ship. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to export the texture from the 3ds max file to produce a pvr file and if that would work.
Help please.

Cay

If you have a texture that you want to have applied to a POD model then you should optimize the image file (png, jpg, tga etc.) separately using PVRTexTool to produce a .pvr file that can be associated with your POD model, either in 3DS Max or using PVRShaman. I would recommend using PVRShaman to examine your model for correctness after export anyway.

POD can carry references to textures, but does not carry the texture data itself - this is kept separately in the .pvr file.

Please keep asking questions if you need more help :slight_smile:

Hi Gordon. Thank you so much for your quick reply!
I have a 3ds max file (.max). The texture is already applied and not on a separate image file. How do I then produce a .pvr file from that?
The POD model (exported using PVRGeoPOD) does open using PVRShaman with the textures and everything. But when I plug it into the code, it is still a white mask.
If I open the exported POD model using PVRTexTool, is there a way to separate the texture into a .pvr file?

POD doesn’t carry texture data. Even if you’ve applied textures in Max they will need to be in separate files for use in your application. I would suggest finding the original image file or finding a way of exporting from Max to a standard format (PNG for example) and then processing into a .pvr from there. You can then add the reference to the .pvr using PVRShaman, for instance.

You will still need loading code for the texture in your application.