How to get Geometry active value from exported .csv file?

Hello,

I am working on evaluating a custom board which is using a SoC including PowerVR GPU. I would like to get a log of load factor on some functions in SoC including GPU. I am using PVRTuneGUI.

How to get Geometry active value like as GUI screen from CSV file exported by PVRTuneGUI?

I did the following:

1. Start PVRTuneDeveloperGUI

2. Apply load to the target GPU

3. Check the Geometry active value on the GUI screen *1

4. Save the .pvrtune file by selecting “File-Save” from the File menu

5. Load the .pvrtune file and then export the .csv file by selecting “File-export-export counters to CSV” from the File menu

6. Check the Geometry active value in the .csv file *2

The ​​above two geometry activity values (*1, *2) look very different. I attached the images of them on this topic

. Is my procedure right? Is there any other calculation needed to get geometry activity value ​​like GUI screen from the .csv file?

Hi miya,

Thanks for your message.

I can reproduce the same output mismatch you are getting when exporting to CSV.

I am asking internally how to get the same information as in the application for a specific GPU counter. I will report here as soon as I have the information.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Hi miya,

I would like to ask one question please.

What is the purpose of exporting GPU counter information to .csv? Perhaps the same goal could be achieved in a different way.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,

The reason for outputting to a CSV file is to automatically obtain the GUP workload, geometry active value, using a script program without manual operation. We hope that there is a way to get GPU work load using csv file same as displayed value on GUI screen.

Best regards,
miya

Hi miya,

Thanks for the information.

I could reproduce the same issue you are experiencing after trying different approaches. I have reported this issue internally to the Tools Team.

They will take a look. I will update you as soon as the issue is fixed. I can handle you an Engineering Drop build once the issue is fixed.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you for your effort to support our question.

I would like to add one more question related on this topic. The question is;
Which of the geometry activity value in GUI screen or in CSV file is correct value?

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,
miya

Hi miya,

Thanks for your message.

The information in the GUI screen is the correct one.

Regarding the counter you where tracking, Geometry Active, I would like to add some notes:

• It is a binary counter, meaning it just has value 0 or value 1 (in the case of PVRTune, 0% or 100%).
  • The only reason why this counter has a non-0 value is when there are any GPU tasks being executed in the earlier parts of the GPU pipeline (Tiler, Vertex shader).
  • If in PVRTune you see the values are more similar to a curve than to a square wave, then you need to lower the smooth parameter to 0 (in the lower left corner of the graph plot widget):

Let me know if you need any help with PVRTune regarding how to use it, or how to diagnose bottlenecks / profile recordings. I could also profile a recording from you if you need it.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you for your response. Previously, you mentioned issue fixing as the below.

“They will take a look. I will update you as soon as the issue is fixed. I can handle you an Engineering Drop build once the issue is fixed.”

I wonder it is good if we can get geometry active value on CSV file which is same as on GUI screen. Could you confirm the possibility and progress of fixing the issue?

Best regards,
miya

Hi miya,

There are already tasks being carried on to try fix the issue, but the issue has not yet been fixed.

Unfortunately I cannot provide an estimate of when the issue will be fixed. I recommend you also report the issue to your SoC manufacturer so it gains more priority internally and more resources are alloacted for it.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Hi miya,

I got reported that the issue has been fixed.

If you can please send an email to devtech.portal@imgtec.com I will explain the steps to get a build of PVRTuneDeveloper with the fix.

Best regards,
Alejandro