pvrtc.lib random crash

Hello,

I’m expecting random crash inside pvrtc.lib.

Please download this test project to reproduce the problem:

http://d0.fenomen-games.com/tfiles/pvrtc_crash.zip

Source code included.

Its crashing on Windows 7 x86, Core 2 Duo CPU.

SDK version: 2.09.29.0649

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

It seems you have the first release version of the pvrtc library (it’s still packaged in the SDK unfortunately). If you go to the PVRTexLib utility page (here: https://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/powervr-pvrtexlib.asp) and download the version of PVRTC from there, the latest version should fix your issue. I tested your app with both the version you packaged and the version from the utilities page and the latest version did not crash after 100 iterations.

Thanks,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thank you so much for reply!

Unfortunately its still crashing with another input data.

Check out this version:

http://d0.fenomen-games.com/tfiles/pvrtc_crash2.zip

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

As far as I can tell, this only happens when running a debug build against the library. If you define NDEBUG in the pre-processor, everything should work without a problem. If you’re finding this problem with Release builds of your app (and are defining NDEBUG there too) then let me know.

Thanks,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I think NDEBUG is not a solution here. In my opinion pvrtc.lib corrupts memory in some random location. Because address of that location is unpredictable it may depend on many aspects of compilation like Release/Debug, optimization flags & etc.

You may try to run pvrtc compressor under valgrind. Its a great tool to resolve such kind of problems.

UPDATE: It crashed in Release build too.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

The problem that I was seeing is caused because some of the compressor code is calling “assert” at various points for debugging. In release mode this assert is defined to do nothing. However it looks as if not defining NDEBUG causes the assert to still happen.

In this particular instance it seems that an assert(0) has been left in the code, which is a bug that I’m going to raise with the engineer responsible so that it doesn’t cause problems in future. So NDEBUG, whilst not ideal, seems to be the only workaround for this problem at the moment.

Are you also getting a crash in Release mode, against the latest library, and with NDEBUG specified? If so, this is a separate bug which I also need to look into, are you getting any useful output in the call stack?

Thanks,

Tobias

Tobias,

Because I’m using precompiled library, defining NDEBUG macro doesn’t affect the library in any manner.

Yes, I’m getting crash in Release mode, against the latest library and with NDEBUG specified.

I’m almost sure that the reason of the crash in the test project I provided before is the same as in the release build of my texture packer.

Andrew.

mad_rain2012-01-26 16:29:42

Hi Andrew,

I apologise, assert is part of the VS library and I thought its function was defined in a specific object rather than a header, and linked in at the end after PVRTexLib (thus my thinking about the NDEBUG define). I can see now that this is not the case!

So it sounds like I’ve been unable to reproduce your bug so far with the new libs, however I’m going to set your test running over the weekend to see what happens. Hopefully I’ll find something! I would mention that we’ve recently discovered a thread handle leak problem in the PVRTC encoder, I’m not sure if that would be causing the problem, but it could be; I’ll let you know what I find. How long is it before you typically see a crash?

Thanks,

Tobias

Tobias,

The test project usually crash at its first iteration or not crashing at all. Please try to launch it several times, you might not get crash just by waiting for more iterations.

Andrew.

Hmm, interesting. I’ll write a batch file to continuously launch it and kill it then.

Here disassembly of crash location (pvrtc_crash2.zip). I’m not providing call stack because it looks useless.

Crashing probability near to 50%.

I’m a little surprised how many threads you use and how many times you call malloc/free.

EAX = 000AFFF8 EBX = 00000000 ECX = 000AD708 EDX = 000AD528

ESI = 000AD780 EDI = 00000000 EIP = 00111872 ESP = 1092FC2C

EBP = 00000004 EFL = 00010202

00111855 F2 0F 58 C1      addsd       xmm0,xmm1

00111859 F2 0F 5A E8      cvtsd2ss    xmm5,xmm0

0011185D 8B C8            mov        ecx,eax

0011185F F3 0F 10 08      movss       xmm1,dword ptr [eax]

00111863 F3 0F 5A 44 24 24 cvtss2sd    xmm0,dword ptr [esp+24h]

00111869 0F 5A C9        cvtps2pd    xmm1,xmm1

0011186C 66 0F 2F C1      comisd      xmm0,xmm1

00111870 76 11            jbe        00111883

>>> 00111872 F3 0F 10 48 28   movss       xmm1,dword ptr [eax+28h]

00111877 83 C0 28        add        eax,28h

0011187A 0F 5A C9        cvtps2pd    xmm1,xmm1

0011187D 66 0F 2F C1      comisd      xmm0,xmm1

00111881 77 EF            ja          00111872

00111883 3B C8            cmp        ecx,eax

00111885 0F 84 87 00 00 00 je          00111912

0011188B E8 40 FD FF FF   call        001115D0

00111890 F2 0F 10 0D E8 D5 18 00 movsd       xmm1,mmword ptr [__real@3fe4000000000000 (18D5E8h)]

Please let me know if you need some help from me.

Andrew.

mad_rain2012-01-27 12:20:48

I can confirm the pvrtc.lib is flawed - for me it crashed too.
The latest PVRTexLib also unusable due to crashes (on high quality mode).

Hi Andrew,

I’m still having difficulty replicating your bug, I’ve got it to crash just once so far, even then it did so cleanly. Do you still get this issue after a restart? I’m starting to be more and more suspicious that it is to do with the thread handle leakage. If you could try restarting and running the test again it to see if this (temporarily) fixes the issue it would be very helpful. I can probably send out a version with the thread handle leak fix if this works.

Thanks,

Tobias

Hi ringo,

If you’re using the latest version as well then you could be experiencing a similar issue. Could you also try doing a restart and see if this fixes your problem on the first few runs?

Thanks,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Yes still crashing for me after restart.

Please send me a new version - I will try it.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Could you email devtech@imgtec.com so that I can send you the library?

Thanks,

Tobias

Just sent an email.

Andrew.

Tobias,

Have you received my email?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

It hasn’t come through, might have been stuck in our spam filters I guess, though I have no idea why. Did you sign up to the forums with the same email you’ve sent your message from? I’ll just email that if so.

Thanks,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I have tried new version you sent me. Its still crashing almost constantly under Visual Studio.

Andrew.