Imagination PowerVR SDK Blog

SDK Licensing question about code translation

I have a program written in Java which can, among other things, load textures in various formats. I plan to add PVR support.

If I understood the SDK EULA correctly, it would preclude me from rewriting the decompression routines in PVRTDecompress.cpp in Java (because it’s a “derivative work”). But I would be allowed to write a JNI wrapper that uses the same code, provided the attribution requirements are met?

I would really prefer to rewrite the decompressor in Java and keep the codebase pure Java if at all possible.

Hi David,

[blockquote]I would really prefer to rewrite the decompressor in Java and keep the codebase pure Java if at all possible.[/blockquote]
Under our licence, you are allowed to do this. The licence states:
[blockquote]Restrictions
Other than as expressly permitted herein, you may not: …create derivative works or attempt to discover the source code for any element of the SDK not already provided in source code form[/blockquote]
As PVRTDecompress is provided as source, you are allowed to create derivative works from it.

We’re currently reviewing our EULA and hope to make the terms clearer in the future.

Thanks for the clarification. I interpreted that differently