Warning: Rectangular PVRTC1 textures may not be supported on some platforms

I’m getting this output from PVRTexToolCLI.exe when compressing some presumably non-square (but still power of 2) textures. What would be an example of a device/platform that wouldn’t support this?

Like iOS apparently:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/3DDrawing/Conceptual/OpenGLES_ProgrammingGuide/TextureTool/TextureTool.html

That’s just mind boggling.

Hi Eodabash,

iOS, as far as we know, is the only current platform where this occurs. The restriction originally exists from our MBX cores, but is not actually an issue in any of our Series5 or Series6 cores. If this is causing you problems I would suggest you raise a ticket with Apple to see if they can support it in future.

FYI, I’ve filed a bug against PVRTexTool to get this mentioned in the warning so people don’t have to go on a Google hunt in future :).

Regards,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for looking into this. It seems like this has been an issue for quite a while? I guess if Apple hasn’t fixed it after all this time they probably won’t do it just for me :D. Plus some of these devices are already end of life and won’t be getting new updates. For new devices we’ll probably just use ETC2 instead.

Evan

iOS, as far as we know, is the only current platform where this occurs. The restriction originally exists from our MBX cores,

FWIW I think only a couple of very early versions of MBX had this restriction and I doubt they are still in circulation.