Why is it so slow to build a OpenGLES2 project?

Hi THere:

I am using a 05_BasicTnL example code in the training course in the OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.03.23.1162. What I did is to replace the original triangle with a much larger data set (a close 3D surface with 3018 triangles).  However, when I want to build this project, the VC++ net 2003 has to use around 40 minutes to build it. I am wondering if I can speed it up a little bit.

Thank you very much,

Renaissance.

For larger models we tend to use the POD format (as seen in IntroducingPOD and others), but we’ve also done the same kind of thing as you describe before. It should take a bit longer to compile, but I’ve never seen compile times this excessive.

I assume you’re using a fairly modern PC to build this? The current release of our SDK is version 2.6 and you appear to be using a 2.3 release from a year and a half ago - I would recommend retrieving the new version and using this. It probably won’t affect compile time much, but you’ll benefit from any bug fixes we’ve incorporated since then and it may be that a setting in your project is causing the long compile times and a fresh project might correct that.

Otherwise you may want to consider checking your system in other ways: did you have a virus scan running, possibly re-installing visual studio etc.

If you’re still having trouble then at least putting your data into a separate source file should mean it only needs to be compiled once and that should save some time.

Thank you for your quick feedback, Gordon.

I did not use any input from external file. I just copy the vertex and normal into the corresponding array in the source code.

I am installing the 2.6 based on your suggestion right now.

Also, I found out if I use VC++ 2008, the compiling time is only around 3 min, which is a big change compared with the 40 mins using VC++ . NET 2003.

I will get you posted.

Thank you,

Renaissance

Hi Gordon:

I just download the

OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.06.26.0649

I can build the project. However, when I need to run the .exe on the PC, there will pop up a error message saying:

Debug Error!

Progam ... xxx.exe

Module ... xxx.exe

File:

Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function all. This usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling convertion with a c**tion pointer declared with a different calling convention.

I use VC++ .NET 2003 and VC2008 express to build the exe and I saw the same message.

I have the OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.03.23.1162 still in my PC. Should I remove this before I can use the OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.06.26.0649?

Thank you,

Renaissance

Hi,

It may be that you have built application against diffrent version of pcemulation than the one you are using to run this application against. Â Can you just run any demo/traning course from SDK (binary, without building) by coping libraries of pcemulation into direcotry of that application? When you use VC2008 for building and running application then you can see in output what libraries are being loaded, so please make sure that these are the same libraries as the one used for linking. Tell us if it helps

This method works after I copied the following files

libEGL.dll

libEGL.lib

libGLESv2.dll

libGLESv2.lib

from

C:Imagination TechnologiesPowerVR SDKOGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.06.26.0649BuildsOGLES2WindowsPCLib

to the directory where my .exe file is located.

In the project property setting, I saw similar setting. I am wondering what mess up this procedure? What is the best method to solve this problem instead of copying all these .lib and .dll at each project directory?

Thank you

Also, I found to build my project using this new version OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.06.26.0649 is much slower than using the old version 2.0.3, which is really not what I expected. I really regret I removed the old version. I am wondering, do you still have the OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.03.23.1162 some where? I prefer the old version  than this one.

Thank you,

Hello,

It is very odd that this new version has gone much slower. Could you describe whether this happens in all occasions or only when you use specific features and how many polygons, textures, etc. you use in your example (and also you HW acceleration). We will try to reproduce this problem.

We do not recommend going back to an older version as there has been many fixes since 2.3 and we will not be able to support you if you use an old emulator.

Best regards

Carlos.