Windows Emulation: Greatly reduced OGLES2 MSAA performance

Hello PVR Community,

I’m using the PVR libraries (libEGL.dll and libGLESv2.dll) for windows emulation of OpenGL ES 2.0. This has many advantages including assessment of functionality before deployment onto a hardware platform with Imagination GPU.

I’m using MSAA through the extension: “GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture”

My application with MSAA set to 2 samples runs at half the frame rate with MSAA turned off. My PC is using a nVidia 1070-Ti. Other computers with lesser GPUs will run at 1/10th the frame rate.

I’ve tried a number of the PVR tools including different emulations modes with PVRFrame. I’ve also tried PVRTune but the performance server cannot access GPU data (windows PC is not a PVR GPU).

So I don’t really have any options at this point other than not using MSAA, or living with the reduced performance when using Windows emulation.

Are there any ways to improve “GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture” with Windows?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture is not supported on desktop GPUs so it needs to be emulated. This is done blitting into a multi-sample framebuffer. This should be pretty fast as the resolving will be done by the GPU itself. We never have seen a problem as severe as you describe. Have you tried on a different GPU?

Regards.

Carlos.