macOS Catalina cannot install Release2. PVRTexTool bug

The last High Sierra and Catalina can’t install 2019.1 or .2. The installer is 32-bit only. Somehow existing PVRTexToolCLI runs, so it must be a 64-bit app, but the installer prevents getting the newest version.

Some questions on PVRTexTool…

With -f ASTC_4x4,UBN,sRGB, the colors are converted from the png data (already sRGB), to sRGB space which is incorrect. This setting should only affect the format. The only current workaround is to us lRGB, and then change the format in the KTX header. I’d reported this 2 years back.

It’s nice to finally see BC1-3 support back on macOS. BC4/5_unorm/snorm (rgtc) are just the 1x or 2x the alpha chunk that you already have in BC3, so would be nice to see those added. Also need BC1-3_SRGB. And eventually BC6H/BC7 (bptc).

Also make sure the -p (premultiply setting) is performed while in linear color space, and then apply sRGB. Otherwise, overflow occurs. Also the same when building mips - these are done in premultiplied linear values, and then sRGB applied. I haven’t tried the premutiplied setting, but would like to.

I can’t install PowerVRSDKSetup-2019_R2 on macOS Catalina as well.

Hello,

We are very sorry about this situation. We definitely tested it on High Sierra and it was working as intended. I have to reckon that we did not tested it on Catalina.
In the mean time we solve this problem I have copied the individual utilities in our portal: https://pvrsupport.imgtec.com/downloads/76-tools-19-2

Regards.

Carlos.

1 Like

PVRTexTool unpacks from that zip file now, but it still doesn’t display the correct colors on sRGB textures Despite support for BC format textures on macOS, those also don’t open in the GUI. Maybe that was CLI encoding support only?

Could you please upload PVRTrace as well (with PVRHub.apk), please?

Hello,

I have added the rest of utilities in the same location https://pvrsupport.imgtec.com/downloads.
About the missing support for BC formats on the GUI, I have filed a bug and we will have a look shortly.

Regards.

Carlos.

1 Like

Hello Carlos,

Could you please add PVRShaderEditor as well?

Hi Denis,

Sorry, this was an oversight. I have added it.

Regards.

Carlos.

Thanks Carlos.
Unfortunately, shader compilers are 32-bit binaries and don’t run on Catalina…

@CarlosSarria, is it possible to fix that problem?

Hi, Denis.

We are looking into it and, yes, we think we should be able to supply 64bit builds of the offline compilers for MacOS.

Regards

Carlos.

1 Like