Maya POD exporter...

The Maya 7.0 POD exporter always exports with -Z as up.  Is there a way to specify +Y as up using the “PVRGeoPOD_Execute” command?

Mmm… I am using the POD exporter on Maya 8 and I have a different behavior. It looks like the exporter does some rotation, not just inverting the Z axis. For example, my camera in Maya is placed at (15, -10, 15) and when I load it from the POD it shows up at (15, 15, 10)…
Anybody has an idea why this is happening? I need to export a Z-up scene and I’d like to see it in PVR as I see it Maya…
Thanks,

Luca

Hi,

micahp wrote:
The Maya 7.0 POD exporter always exports with -Z as up.  Is there a way to specify +Y as up using the "PVRGeoPOD_Execute" command?

There is a drop-down box for selecting the coordinate system of the final pod file and it has two options, opengl and directx. Both of which have +Y as up so if as you say the pod file is -Z up then there is likely a bug in the exporter. I'll have a look into it and get back to you.

vezza wrote:
I need to export a Z-up scene and I'd like to see it in PVR as I see it Maya...

I'm afraid the only export option is Y-up (if it was working).

Cheers,

Scott

Scott wrote:

I'm afraid the only export option is Y-up (if it was working).

Mmm... but then this means that internally the exporter does some kind of conversion before outputting the data to the POD file. In my case, for example, I've tried to check the camera coords and these appear clearly different in the POD from what I have in Maya. Regardless of what the UP axis is, can you explain what the exporter does exactly and why it converts the data that way?
Thanks,

Luca

vezza2008-10-01 16:48:58
Scott wrote:
there is likely a bug in the exporter. I'll have a look into it and get back to you.

Yep this turned out to be a bug in the exporter. An updated version can now be downloaded from

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,
Just tried out the new exporter (for Maya 8). It looks like now the camera position in the POD matches perfectly the one in Maya. But now the target is wrong. I am using an animated "Camera + Aim" camera type (a camera which has a target node linked to it, basically). This worked perfectly until yesterday's version, but with this new one it looks broken. So the camera does no longer point where it should...
If it helps I can send two POD files, one exported with the newest plugin and the one with the previous version, to compare.

Luca

PS
(Forgot to specify this) I use the GetCamera method on the model to retrieve camera info (Up axes, from and to points)

vezza2008-10-01 16:49:10

If you could send them to devtech@imgtec.com that would be great. Also would it be possible to get a small test scene demonstrating the problem.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott2008-10-01 16:58:52