POD CREATION FOR DUMMIES

Dear Team

Will you consider to make the pod exporter (from collada or max ) OPENSOURCE , to see the detail of the pod creation using your TOOLS API ?

If not will you then consider a sample of POD Creation using your TOOL API, starting only by triangles definition and indices.

Adding animation information dynamically at specific frame will be a most there is so much derivative of that in gaming…

we could then have the freedom of profiling , experimenting , in the result people will love the Api even more :slight_smile:

That will help aloooooooot :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

david

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve filed this request into our system. We’ll try to make the process of exporting and using the data clearer/simpiler in a future release

Thanks,

Joe

the next release is going to be hot then :slight_smile:

It is actually very simple … I mean, all you need is the SDK itself and looking at the docs and source code I had no trouble writing animation/static POD exporter for Lightwave.

Hello

When i saw the doc about geometry sort i stopped right away :slight_smile:

will you share the exporter code then ?

By my side i am using 3d max , i created script that export some animation data, use for interpolation mainly and i am ready to share my script on demand

thanks

david

It is actually very simple ... I mean, all you need is the SDK itself and looking at the docs and source code I had no trouble writing animation/static POD exporter for Lightwave.

Warmi, would you consider sharing your pod exporter? I'm using modo, and can't seem to get character animation working. I suspect it's the pvrgeoPOD utiilty I'm using. I wish img tec had more pluguns available.

My simple character test is a simple leg mesh with a skeleton bound to the mesh. I've done a quick 40 second animation and exported to collada (dae) format. Then I use the pvrGeoPOD utility to convert the collada file to a POD file. Unfortunately when viewing in pvrShaman I don't see the animation happening. I suspect the problem is the skinning export as the pvrGeoPOD docs say there are limitations.

Thanks.

Valerie

Here you go … you will probably have to change a few paths to get it compile…

https://github.com/wrawdanik/LayoutPODExport

Thanks Warmi, that is very cool, very useful , i hope the SDK team will provide more sample to help us to develop import export tools as well.

david

This is 3 years old non-64 bit safe code using old OGLES lib in /dependencies etc… if you just want to see how PODs are serialized , you can look at Database.cpp at bool SceneInventory::serializeToPODFile(QString fileName).

Geometry sorting is done inside of void SceneInventory::sortGeometry(SPODMesh *mesh).

BTW … I have another tool called Fbx2POD which converts FBX files to POD format … right now it is a part of a larger package ( including ASIMp to POD etc - http://assimp.sourceforge.net and some other unrelated stuff ) but I could clean it up and make it available as well.

that will be wonderfull bro !! it s even more easier to understand ( i mean at least fbx format :slight_smile: )

aie aie aie , the forum doesnt order comment by a timeline manner , all post are mixed order by my side !!!

About your code , it s very helpfull ,well writen to be understandable.

I will be interested by your fbx as it s closer to my autodesk creation tool.i believe that could be usefull to our communauty ???

regards

david