PVRTexToolCLI PVRTC Encoding Invalid/Valid values

Hello,

Today I tired to use an older script for batch encoding of larger textures using the PVRTexToolCLI.exe as a basis. While the overall program worked fine, the line responsible for encoding into pvrtc errored out with the following message:

Error: Invalid values chosen for Encode Format. Please see -help for valid parameters.

I read through the documentation and could not find anything wrong with my command and it still wouldn’t work even after I tried to enter the command into the cli manually or shortened it down into its most basic form.

What am I doing wrong with the following commands?

Full Command (replace [basepath] with input file without file ending):

PVRTexToolCLI.exe -i [basepath].png -flip y -pot + -m -f PVRTC1_2_RGB,UBN,lRGB -q pvrtcfastest -o [basepath]-pvrtc.ktx

Shortened test command (I used exactly the settings from the example in the doc):

PVRTexToolCLI.exe -i [basepath].png -f PVRTC1_2,UBN,lRGB -q pvrtcfast -o [basepath]-pvrtc.ktx

Thank you very much for your help already!

Hi FBBLeo,

Many thanks for your message and welcome to the PowerVR Developer Forum!

The format string was changed in the newer versions of PVRTexToolCLI. You can know all the supported formats with PVRTexToolCLI.exe -help f

For the case you are experiencing issues with, PVRTC1_2_RGB should be changed to PVRTCI_2BPP_RGB:

PVRTexToolCLI.exe -i [basepath].png -flip y -pot + -m -f PVRTCI_2BPP_RGB,UBN,lRGB -q pvrtcfastest -o [basepath]-pvrtc.ktx

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Alejandro

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

Is there any updated documentation where these new possible values can be found?

In the same spirit, what would be the updated version of “PVRTC1_2” as this command also doesn’t work any more.

Hi FBBLeo,

There will be a respin of PVRTexTool in our Developer Portal with proper and updated information in a few weeks.

In the meantime you can compare the old and new output of PVRTexToolCLI.exe -help f and map to the proper format. The PVRTC1_2 format has two possible new options, (PVRTCI_2BPP_RGB, PVRTCI_2BPP_RGBA) depending on whether you have an RGB or RGBA image, I hope one of them suits your needs.

Best regards,
Alejandro