SGX545 blitter

Hello,

I am working on the development of a Linux graphics driver for the SGX535 and SGX545.

For now, I have managed to get the blitter working on the SGX535, which greatly improves the 2D performance and starts unleashing the power of this chip.

However on the SGX545 the register setting doesn’t stick and always returns ‘busy’.

Does the SGX545 have a blitter?

If so, is it the same register? What is the best way to get the blitter working?

With kind regards,

Arthur Borsboom.

Hi Arthur,

Is this an open source graphics driver? We’d be interested to know more about the project and where it’s being used.

There are differences between the 535 and 545 feature set that may explain the issue. We only provide application level support on this forum. I’d recommend contacting the platform provider for assistance.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

The ‘project’ is the gma500 driver of the mainline Linux kernel, you must have seen that one before. :slight_smile: It is currently a framebuffer driver with poor 2D, 3D and video performance. I am trying to improve the 2D performance by implementing the blitter, to shift the load of memory copying from the CPU to the GPU.

You refer to the platform provider for assistance. Who are you referring to? In other words, who can I contact to get answers like this?

Can you describe what the differences are in the feature set regarding the blitter?

With kind regards,

Arthur Borsboom.

Hi Joe,

Maybe I should ask the question a bit more concrete.

For the SGX535 I can enable the blitter functionality on register 0x0C88.

However when I do that on the SGX545, the value doesn’t stick, what gives me the impression the SGX545 has a different address for this.

Do you have a list of register values of the SGX545, for example an header file?

With kind regards,

Arthur.

Hi Arthur,

By platform provider, I meant the company responsible for the SoC you’re using. I believe this would be Intel in your case.

I’ve checked the hardware documentation and confirmed that the SGX545 does not include blitting hardware. It was an SGX535 specific feature.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe!

That answered my question.

I guess 2D acceleration has to be implemented by the 3D engine.

So, let’s see if we can implement the needed 3D acceleration for the 2D acceleration… outch. :slight_smile: