Collada2POD meets SketchUp.

I ran into some issues trying to use Collada2POD on Collada 1.4.1 files exported from Google SketchUp, and thought I would share them with the group.

1. Google SketchUp improperly inverts the <transparency> value (this seems like a common problem, since having a transparency value of 1.0 to indicate fully opaque seems backwards to me also).  I posted an issue to the SketchUp Pro forum, but I suspect I won’t hear anything back.  (My suspicion is driven by the fact that someone mentioned the same problem on the forum a year ago, and also received no reply).

2. Collada export from SketchUp exports the images to a seperate folder  eg. <init_from>cube/texture0.jpg</init_from> it seems like the path gets stripped off, and PVRShaman produces a friendly enough error telling you as much.  This is really just a minor annoyance.

3. Most (if not all) of the default materials in SketchUp use non-“power of 2” textures.  PVRShaman kept crashing until I swapped them all out for square power of 2 textures.

Issues 2 and 3 seem easy enough to work around.  The transparency issue is a bit more annoying.  It would be nice if there were an option in Collada2POD which would allow inverting of the transparency behavior.  Alternatively, Collada2POD could make use of the <authoring_tool>Google SketchUp 6.4.112</authoring_tool> tag and quietly fix the behavior behind the scenes.

Any thoughts?

-james

Hi,

conjam wrote:

The transparency issue is a bit more annoying.  It would be nice if there were an option in Collada2POD which would allow inverting of the transparency behavior. 

Someone else recently also mentioned the transparency issue so for our next release we're adding such an option.

conjam wrote:

3. Most (if not all) of the default materials in SketchUp use non-"power of 2" textures.  PVRShaman kept crashing until I swapped them all out for square power of 2 textures.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll see if we can reproduce the problem here.

Scott

The issue with non-power of two textures should be fixed in recent versions of PVRShaman.