Error: astcenc not found. Please download and place in PATH

HI,

I am getting the below error in MAC OS.

Error: astcenc not found. Please download and place in PATH.

Even I download and astcenc and set the path. Could you please help me on this?

Thanks,
Sabari.

Hi Sabari,

Yes, there is a problem finding astcenc on Mac. The env path is overwritten by XCode and the available
locations are not writable by the user due to the new Apple “System Integrity Protection” policy.
We are trying to find a solution for this. In the mean time, the only workaround is to use the command-line version of PVRTexTool.

Regards.

Carlos.

This is happening with the CLI as well. What path are you expecting to find the ARM reference implementation compiler - astcenc? All I did was download that, installed it, and added that to my path. Then the CLI worked.

Hi Alec,

PVRTexTool does not carry the astm encoder so it requires it to be placed in the path to allow ASTC compression to work, both for the CLI and the GUI. We have a problem that only affects the GUI version on Mac which impedes PVRTexToolGUI to find the astc encoder regardless whether its location is in the path. To work-around this problem we have added /usr/local/bin/ (which is writable by the user) to the search path.

Regards.

Carlos.

If this is released in 2018_R1, I can’t install anything on macOS with the installer. I get the following dialogs. Nothing installs including PVRGeoPod and PVRTexTool. Using /usr/local/bin/ should be the correct approach, and that’s where my version of the utility resides. Will this release also fix sRGB to not be applied when chosen for PVRTC and ASTC?

Unable to download component PVRTexTool:
Component file version does not match
Ignore, retry, abort.

None of these choices work, and abort generates the following:

There has been an error.
Unable to download component PVRTexTool:
Component file version does not match.
The application will exit now.
Ok

Hi,

We are sorry about this problem with the installer on Mac. There were two installers in our server and the web page was pointing to the wrong one (hence the mismatch). Please, download it again and give it another go. It should work now. The fix for astc is in this version of PVRTexTool.

Regards.

carlos.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to the fixes.

Looks like sRGB handling is still not fixed in this release. That makes the tool unusable for a lot of content. Switching sRGB to lRGB is not a solution here either. The sRGB content is much brighter than the original source material. I reported that in another ticket.

PVRTexTool (gui) sort of works, but you have to change the scale to make the visualization of channels be correct. White bands appear on the left, and the pixels shift to the right as you turn on/off channels. Also the texture view should really offer a premultiply mode, since showing straight channels with say all white, and only alpha shows a very jagged edges and doesn’t really capture the alpha channel since it’s overwhelmed by the white of the RGB channels.