Renesas V4H White Hawk AXM-8-256 GPU Drivers and General Guidance

Hello,

I am using a Renesas R-Car V4H White Hawk Evaluation Board to demonstrate the capabilities of the Imagination Technologies AXM-8-256 GPU. The Renesas-provided SDK for the White Hawk includes proprietary graphics drivers for the AXM-8-256 GPU that seem to only support the NullWS window system. Furthermore, the Renesas SDK only provides a Yocto root file system which does not include a package manager and is difficult to grow. I have been able to run glmark2-nullws and various OpenGLES test scripts from your PowerVR SDK by compiling for NullWS, but now I want to take it a step further and try out WebGL examples in a Chromium browser in a proper desktop environment. Iā€™m not really sure how to go about doing this and would appreciate any guidance. I am personally trending towards using the Archlinux Generic ARM linux distribution and building my own 6.8 Linux Kernel with the new DRM based Imagination Technologies GPU drivers installed (will these drivers work with the AXM-8-256?), but I am open to other suggestions. Could someone please provide me with some guidance on what to do and how to go about getting Chromium to run GPU hardware accelerated WebGL examples with the AXM-8-256 GPU? I would really appreciate it if someone can go into significant detail on exactly the best way to go about doing this. Thank you so much!

Hi ariatedjarati,

Thanks for your message, and welcome to the PowerVR Developer Forum!

I am asking your question internally to several colleagues and will come back as soon as I get information.

Best regards,
Alejandro

1 Like

Hi ariatedjarati,

I gathered information from several colleagues, I am afraid you will need to contact Renesas:

• Regarding running a desktop environment on your V4H White Hawk board using Archlinux + building a Linux Kernel, the Imagination Technologies DRM drivers will not work on a AXM-8-256 core unfortunately as this is a new architecture (Volcanic) not yet supported. You can ask Renesas in this regard in case they can assist you with their propietary drivers.

• Another option could be to run Chromium on Yocto. This approach would require rebuilding Yocto to add chromium and all its dependencies, allowing as well to select a windowing system. Your board only supports NullWS and Chromium is most likely expected to require a windowing system. For this you will also need to contact Renesas I am afraid so they can assess whether this would work.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Alejandro