Exporting from 3DS Max to POD

Hi.

I downloaded the PVRGeoPOD and installed the plug-in to 3DS Max 8.

When I export a static model, with no animation, the converted POD file is rendered well.

However, when I export the model with bone animation and display the exported POD model, it does not move although the frame number increases.

So, I turned on the export bone geometry option in the exporter and exported my model again. Then I see the bone geometry in PVRShaman. Now, the bone moves with its animation, but the model geometry does not.

I confirmed that the skin modifier option is checked and bone indices are set to unsigned byte.

What mistakes do I have here ??

Is there any documentations or tutorials about how to export a 3DS file containing animation to a POD file ??

PVRGeoPOD and PVRShaman I used are the newest version.

WonwooLee wrote:

What mistakes do I have here ??

Hi,

How are you doing the skinning in Max as the exporter only supports the skin modifier? Also, what type are you using for the bone weights? Going from your description everything else seems to be fine for exporting skinned animation.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Sorry to bump this old thread but I am having the same problem. If I export bone geometry I can see the bones moving in PVRShaman, but the rest of the mesh doesn’t move. I assume I’m doing something dumb but since someone else had the same problem, I figure it’s worth asking…

Here is a .max file (from 3ds max 2010):

okugly.com/bonesmax.max

Hi,

edflanders wrote:
Hi Scott,
Sorry to bump this old thread but I am having the same problem. If I export bone geometry I can see the bones moving in PVRShaman, but the rest of the mesh doesn't move. I assume I'm doing something dumb but since someone else had the same problem, I figure it's worth asking...

The good news is that it exported fine for me. What are the export options you are using?

The options related to skinning were set to the following for my export:

'Export skin modifiers' checked

'Matrix palette size' set to 8

'Bone indices' were set to type 'unsigned byte'

'Bone weights' were set as 'float'

Thanks,

Scott

Er, I didn’t have “Export Skin Modifiers” checked… I have no idea how I missed that option (I’m a noob, who still thinks that skin == texture). Thanks.

I apologize for posting to a year old thread. I am having the same problem as the first person to post: I can export the mesh alone just fine, but when I export with the animation the bones are visible and moving but the mesh does not seem to be skinned.

I am only using max 8, the skin modifier with only Envelope weighting, and a combination of Biped and boxes for the rig.

Below are the settings with which I am exporting:

COLUMN 1:
These are checked:
* Export Geometry
* Export matrices
* Export Bone Geometry

* Export materials

* Export Animation

* Coordinate system: Open GL

COLUMN 2:

These are checked:

* Normals