H.264 video decoding accerelation in AllWinner A80 CPU

Hi forum,
We are interested in H.264 video decoding accerelation in AllWinner A80 CPU. The A80 uses PowerVR G6230 GPU.
Thanks,
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

[blockquote]We are interested in H.264 video decoding accerelation in AllWinner A80 CPU. The A80 uses PowerVR G6230 GPU.[/blockquote]
Do you mean that you would like to use the GPU to decode the H.264 video frames? We do not have an example like this in our SDK and our team has very little experience with video decoding. If you haven’t already done so, I would recommend contacting AllWinner to see if they have a suitable decoder for their A80 SoC.

Hello Joe,

I am a little confused. The A80 literature says that it uses PowerVR G6230 GUP and H.264/H.265 encoder. I am assuming that the A80 also uses Video Encoder/Decoder option from Imagination. Maybe is not handled by the PowerVR but a another Imagination codec engine.

Thanks,

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

PowerVR video encode/decode hardware is not part of the GPU - it’s a separate hardware block. You can find out more about PowerVR Video here: https://www.imgtec.com/powervr/video/

It’s possible that AllWinner have used GPU compute to support a video format that isn’t natively supported by the video encode/decode hardware. I would recommend contacting AllWinner to find out more about this.

Thanks,
Joe