POD EXPORT USING MAXSCRIPT (6. MaxScript/MEL User Data)

Dear Team

I was using my own script before to store metadata info, but i discover your great functionnality , i try it and check the puserdata value at :

SPODNode

SPODMaterial,

SPODScene

after export and usage of the script all this value are null and seems not be set, may you confirm please ?

i have an another question about pod export, will it be possible to generate the standart simple PFX base on diffuse color of the material and the lighting of the scene if there is some without effect , just an helper that save a lot of time for people using massively your tool all day long ?

i think this functionnality will be great .

I would like to mention to the team that created the PFX FORMAT that they should be thanks , it s such a wonderfull format and help to design by a clean manner…it s all about material in the end :slight_smile: and expressing a clean way of describing it with effect is super great .

I followed most of the best pratice for my game and i will have to slow down the engine as it s too fast :slight_smile:

sure there is alot of question about the custom part of it and some keyword that you use in your demo not documented

Kind regards

david G

Hi David,

Would it be possible for you to send your MAXScript to devtech@imgtec.com so we could take a look at where it is going wrong?

i have an another question about pod export, will it be possible to generate the standart simple PFX base on diffuse color of the material and the lighting of the scene if there is some without effect , just an helper that save a lot of time for people using massively your tool all day long

It certainly is something that would be possible. I’ve made a note of the idea. :)

Cheers for the feedback/compliments,

Scott

Hi Scott

i am using your script , the one use contain in the sdk , i wanted to make sure that this functionality work before migrating meta info that could be store .

regards

david

i am using your script , the one use in the sdk , i wanted to make sure that ths functionality work before migrating meta info that could be store .

That's strange, the script seems to be behaving for me. Which version of 3DSMax are you using? Maybe the issue is tied with a particular version. Another possibility is the combination of your scene and export options, could you send your scene and exported POD file to the previously mentioned address?

Scott

i am using 3ds max 64 bits service pack 2 , it doesnt work with any given sample for me , the pointer is always null when i check it .

May you tell to Aaron that i didnt have time to make the video for the crashing of PVRShaman, i assure you that it is a reality for me as i am working on Linux all day long ( except for 3d conception i use window unfortunatly) :slight_smile:

regards

david

Hi,

After a little more investigation I’ve found a bug in the 3DSMax 2013 version of the plug-in that breaks the exporting of strings that have been returned from the user’s Max script (all other data types should work fine). Are you using 2013?

FYI, the next update of PVRGeoPOD (2.14.4) will include a fix for this bug.

Thanks,

Scott

I knew it :slight_smile:

may you tell me how we use it to send structure metadata coming from 3ds , what the storage convention , what do you put in the char *??

thanks alot

david g

i think this feature is very cool , i didnt see it to begin with , i was using my own things

Scott

do you know when will happend PVRGeoPOD (2.14.4) ?

david

Hi,

The example script demonstrates returning a string and in the case of DefineMaterialUserData returning [ int, int, float, float, float ]. However, the actual structure is user defined and just exported as an array of bytes. Once it has been imported it’ll be up to your program to parse the data into something meaningful.

The next update is planned to be soon but no rough date yet. If this issue is blocking you, feel free to email devtech@imgtec.com requesting the 2.14.4 plug-in and we’ll send you a copy.

Thanks,

Scott

No problemo thank alot