POD Exporter strips special chars frm object name?

Hi,

I’m using the PowerVR POD exporter with 3DS Max 8 on WindowsXP SP3,

exporting as header files (".h").  I’m finding that when I read an

exported scene, object names (as obtained from the SPODNode::pszName

field) differ from the originals in Max in that any special characters

(underscore, space, plus sign, etc.) have been stripped out (e.g.

“Test_Name” would become “TestName”).

Is there any way to alter this behaviour (Ideally I would want to leave

the object names untouched)?  Is it a Max thing, or a POD Exporter thing?  Otherwise, is there any other way to

encode metadata for objects?

As context, I want to be able to tag an object with metadata which

implies that it is a helper object rather than renderable geometry and

I was planning to use name prefixes to do this (e.g. an object with the

name “start_PlayerStart1” would represent a player start location).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

Two2Heads wrote:

Is there any way to alter this behaviour (Ideally I would want to leave the object names untouched)?  Is it a Max thing, or a POD Exporter thing?  Otherwise, is there any other way to encode metadata for objects?

Thanks for pointing this out. It appears to be a legacy feature in the POD Exporter. We'll have a look at removing this for our next release.

For the moment the stripping doesn't appear to be performed on the material names so you could store your metadata in them.

Two2Heads wrote:

As context, I want to be able to tag an object with metadata which implies that it is a helper object rather than renderable geometry

If it is of any help the pNode array is in the order: meshes, lights, cameras, everything else (bones, helpers etc). Therefore, all the renderable geometry will be in the first nNumMeshNodes of the array.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott, I’ve checked it out and the material name does indeed come through unscathed.  It’s slightly ungainly but it’ll work!  Do you know when the next exporter release is scheduled for?

Thanks,

Peter

Two2Heads wrote:
Thanks Scott, I've checked it out and the material name does indeed come through unscathed.  It's slightly ungainly but it'll work!  Do you know when the next exporter release is scheduled for?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi,

A new version of the exporter with the stripping removed should be available to download from https://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/powervr-pvrgeopod.asp at some point next week.

Thanks,

Scott